The theoretical foundations of the Conflict Analysis Battery are grounded on a humanistic conception of science. Inspired by Aristotelean logic, psychodynamic methods, psychometric rigor, and critical theory’s sensitivities, the Conflict Analysis Battery is a tool to represent the whole person.
The Science of the unconscious process
Philosophers and scientists have long debated about the nature of the human mind. Some tell us that we are just neurons firing, while others tell us we are driven by sex and violence. In juxtaposition to these theoretical models, this program based on Conflict Analysis, the Formal Theory of Behavior, rests on the idea that the unconscious is an innate conflict resolving homeostatic mechanism driven by the need to conform to norms, hence it is driven by moral rules, and it is a scientific mechanism following the laws of two natural science phenomena.
The first phenomenon is the equilibrial scale. There are three formal operations to restore the balance of the trays given the situation where a weight is placed on one tray of the scale:
1. Reciprocity: This formal operation places a weight on the scale’s other tray, corresponding to the reciprocal behavior, using activity to offset a passivity state.
2. Negation: This formal operation removes the initial weight from the weighted down tray, corresponding to pursuing the opposite behavior, turning antagonism to cooperation.
3. Correlation: This operation shifts the weight on the fulcrum of the scale to establish balance; it corresponds to changing attitude from feeling alienated to experiencing mutual respect, feeling respected but also expanding one's thinking, being respectful and reconciled with adversity, the given broader reality.
The second phenomenon is the Simple Harmonic Motion based on the principle of conservation of energy and its transformation from dynamic to kinetic and then to higher order energy, negative entropy; we conceive of conflict as a shift away from the state of rest as the normative position. The deviation, a move away from one’s equilibrial or rest position represents an emotional energetic charge that oscillates in one's mind back and forth until the conflict is resolved, until the emotional charge is transformed from conflict to resolution or negative entropy. The unconscious is like the chlorophyll of plants: it captures energy of conflict and transforms it into personal emotional growth.
The process to conflict resolution and personal growth consists of three emotional oscillations. They are identified with six role states as stress and response, anxiety and defense, reversal and compromise. The normative deviation, the Stress state, a passivity state generates an opposite emotional force, acceleration, leading to an activity proportional and opposite to the initial deviation, driving one to overshoot the rest state. This is the Response. The response generates an opposite force called Anxiety that is experienced as passivity and that leads to a new activity, the Defense role, which then leads to one's Reversal, another passivity state countered by making inner concessions, attitude change or growth leading to the rest state resolving the conflict with a Compromise.
This mental oscillations process transforms conflict energy to resolution as the happy ending of stories. The three pendulum oscillations restore the mental balance. We identify the three oscillations the six interrelated states of passivity and activity as an emotional chain reaction whose task is transforming a conflict from a state of passivity, antagonism and alienation to a resolution as a state of mastery, cooperation and mutual respect. The chain reaction of the six events is identified clinically as a relational modality syndrome.
The Conflict Analysis Battery is designed to optimally trigger insight and self-understanding. Coupling psychological and creativity based assessment models, the Conflict Analysis Battery allows individuals to understand themselves and their relational worlds.
The CAB features 10 different tests, including the following instruments:
- The Relational Modality Evaluation Scale is a Likert-rated report that identifies the dimensions of one’s relational patterns. Rather than pathologizing, this test presents wellness diagnosis, and frames utilization of the rest of the battery.
- The Creativity Tasks are a sequence of creativity exercises that use a simple technique of creative exploration followed by guided self-analysis. The tasks are designed to gradually become more self-focused, allowing the test-taker to become increasingly comfortably being self-analytical.
The Conflict Analysis Battery was designed through 30 years of clinical research. Current research on the CAB is directed by Albert Levis, MD, and Maxwell Levis, MTS, PhD.
Dive into the theory of The Unconscious
Philosophers and scientists have long debated about the nature of the human mind. Some tell us that we are just neurons firing, while others tell us we are driven by sex and violence.